PETALING JAYA: The rising trend in Covid-19 cases on Saturday (Oct 3) with 317 cases nationwide has prompted the Health Ministry to take active and aggressive action like testing in the field to curb the spread of the virus.
Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said one the actions taken was close contact tracing or active case detection.
“Other actions include the enhanced movement control order (MCO) in Kota Setar from Sept 11 to Sept 25 where 18,701 people were screened including 87 foreigners which led to 44 positive cases.
“Targeted screenings for those who visited Sabah at all domestic and international entry points, screenings of high-risk groups where tests were conducted on senior citizens, screenings on immigration detainees and screenings on health workers as well as activity surveillance through monitoring influenza-like illness cases and severe acute respiratory illness were also actions taken,” he said.
Dr Noor Hisham said to ensure the situation in Sabah was controlled immediately, the Health Ministry had mobilised aid teams, sent personal protection equipment, ventilators and opened low-risk treatment centres as quarantine centres to place Covid-19 positive cases who were in stable condition.
“Sabah has six hospitals, as well as six quarantine centres and low-risk treatment centres, that have a capacity of 590 beds and 1,396 beds respectively.
“As of Oct 2, the rate of usage is at 69% at Health Ministry hospitals and 31% at low-risk treatment centres,” he said, adding that for intensive care units, 66 beds had been prepared for treatment of critical Covid-19 patients and have a 23% rate of use.